~Thursday, June 12, 2008

He Loves Me

We began with a bang. How cliché is that. What isn't cliché, however, is that the bang was me laying a Vespa down in the middle of the road.

That particular bang was a year ago, today.

At 12:01 a.m. Scott went outside to get something out of his bike while I climbed into bed and opened a book. He brushed back the curtain that separates the bedroom from the rest of the loft and carried a bouquet of roses and a card. "Happy anniversary, baby," he said.

The roses are beautiful; I've never seen anything like them. At first glance it looks like the petals are aging, but actually they're red with darker red tiger stripes. I tried looking the breed up this morning to see what kind they are, but I haven't found them yet. The card personified Scott's personality: it was sweet with a hint of romance, but it opted for the joke instead of exaggerated sentiment. It was like it was written for him.

"I decided to give you this tonight instead of tomorrow because I won't be here," he explained. "I asked the girls at work what I should do, and they said to give you this tonight, otherwise they said you're just going to sit at home alone tomorrow and stew. I'm sorry I can't be here."

The scheduling between us has been difficult. By the time he gets home from closing the restaurant, we only have about an hour before I have to go to bed in order to be up for the morning. He works weekends too so there isn't going to be an anniversary date. Not even a dinner. He even has to stay late tonight, so I'll probably be asleep before he gets home.

I understand this and I'm not upset over it. I was the one who wanted a better job for him; he took it for me. For us. And these are the consequences.

I spent the morning trying to think about my other one-year anniversary with The Alcoholic-- Mark and I split up three weeks before our one-year anniversary, so The Alcoholic would have been the only one. I wondered what I did all those years ago. How we celebrated. But I couldn't remember a single detail about it, not even what season of the year it fell on. It took me hours to realize that we didn't have one either. We took a break two weeks before our anniversary and got back together two weeks afterwards. This is the first time in my life I have ever made it an entire, consecutive year with someone. This is my first anniversary.

It makes me wish we could do more-- do things properly. But the fact I'm going to be spending tonight watching The Other Boleyn Girl while eating Chinese takeout doesn't even matter, because I think about all I have gained within the past year: I fell in love, I gained a partner, I gained a roommate, a car washer, a scratcher of backs, a lover. Someone who laughs when I painstakingly clean out the refrigerator, but forgot to turn it back on so everything in the freezer melts over my efforts. Someone who holds my hand during the season finale of Grey's Anatomy. And I am just so unbelievably happy.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary, what a lovely thing Scott did for you

L x

Single Girl said...

Congratulations on your first one year anniversary! To many more anniversaries for you and Scott! Happy Anniversary!

kristin said...

i just got really really happy for you. i've very much enjoyed reading about this year for you. and you deserve everything that makes you happy. and you know what? no matter what you do tonight, you'll never forget this anniversary.

Tilly said...

So, so sweet. Happy, happy anniversary! And many, MANY more to come!

Peach said...

and you deserve all that and more, long may it continue XXX

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

Sask Mom said...

Happy Anniversary!! This is great news and I am glad you got to experience this. Yeah for Scott for not forgetting!

Trixie said...

Oh so suhweet! Even though he isn't with you on the day... he's with you always.

Breeza said...

Congratulations! I can't believe it's been a year for you guys---so great!

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary .. what a sweet thing for him to do.

Diane Mandy said...

The roses are beautiful! Happy anniversary!

Enny said...

Awwww!

Happy Anniversary to the two of you :o)

Lpeg said...

Happy Anniversary!! I can't believe it's been almost a year since I found your blog - I started reading shortly after you two got together.

I'm glad he makes you happy, and you have found all those things in one person!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! You two have been through so much together, so that makes the anniversary even more special.

My boyfriend works retail, so most nights and weekends - I can totally relate. It IS nice to have some "me time" though...

Megan said...

i'm so happy for you. this is really great. i'm so glad that things are going so well between you two.

J said...

Happy Anniversary! I can harldy believe its been a year already.

AmyB said...

So, so sweet. Happy FIRST first anniversary, Sarah. I'm so happy your life with Scott is going in the right direction. You certainly have gone through more than your share to deserve happiness!

Also, I think I started reading your blog right after you and Scott got together, so I never read your "how we met" story. WOW, that is some good stuff! It felt so intimate to read, but I enjoyed it more now that I possibly could have back when I first was getting to know you. Thanks for the blast from the past.

WiscoBlonde said...

Hooray! Congrats hun!

dont eat the token said...

those are mysterious and wild looking roses, very pretty!

congrats on that last year of your life and the new wonderful things it has brought you.

that *does* make your anniversary perfect. :)

Trinity2 said...

That post made me cry - and I NEVER cry! I am so happy for you, girl! Happy Anniversary to you both!

Phil said...

Congrats to you both! Perhaps it's time for a blog name change.

Delighted Sarah has a nice ring...

treacle said...

congrats Sarah xx

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com