~Thursday, September 11, 2008

Results

Today, I am tired.

I spent 11 hours at the hospital yesterday, sitting in uncomfortable waiting room chairs (whoever thought an aluminum pipe was adequately served as an armrest is an idiot) and watching re-runs of at least 8 reality court room dramas. Judge Joe Brown, Judge Christina, Divorce Court, and Judge Judy—apparently they air them once in the morning and again after lunch. I'm glad to be employed.

If it's even possible, Scott's injuries were worse than everybody thought. The white stuff that I thought I had been looking at in Scott's hand over the last couple of weeks were not his tendons; it was his bone. Instead of shaving off the top layer of skin on his thigh and leaving a sunburn mark, the doctor instead had to remove, to quote him, "a sizable chunk" from his leg to adequately cover his hand and elbow. He now has a stitched scar running from his knee cap up the length of his inner thigh—like an inseam to his pants. He may never be able to use the last few fingers on his left hand again; the pin inserted was merely to keep them straight and not grow permanently curled into his fist.

The surgery lasted over three hours. I got a lot of knitting done, a little reading done, but absolutely no work. It's hard to write a magazine article in the state of mind I was in, followed by the background noise of Gary Coleman's appearance on Divorce Court.

He had been awake for over two hours before I could see Scott. The ambulatory surgery wing has closed by then, leaving me alone in the waiting room with the lights off. The anesthesiologist did an additional procedure to block the nerves in his left arm—if Scott had absolutely no feeling in his arm, then he also wouldn't feel any pain.

My endocrinologist called me first thing in the morning and gave me the results of my biopsy. It wasn't good news and that's all I'm going to get into for now.

Today, I am tired.

16 comments:

Paige Jennifer said...

Sorry, kiddo. Hang in there and know many of your readers are thinking about you guys.

Single Girl said...

So sorry yesterday wasn't a good day. Things will get better, I promise! Just keep your head up!

kristin said...

i'm sending up prayer after prayer after prayer for y'all both.

Me said...

Jesus Christ. What a fucked up healthcare system this country has....such severe injuries and you have to fight so hard to get a minimal amount of care.

SuvvyGirl said...

This is the point in time where I would be making a lot of noise about the previous healthcare he's received prior to this doctor. Is he left handed or right? If he takes care of himself and his hand it will help a lot. My husband had the last three fingers on his hand cut off when he was working construction, they were able to reattach them and he has pretty much full flexibility of them now. It took a while, but he got there...I bet Scott can too. He's tough, he will heal.

And so will you. :) You are both in my thoughts.

Trixie said...

Things can only get better... surely?

20 yr old girl said...

i really hope things get better for you. im glad scott was able to get an operation. i hope everything turns out alright.
thinking of you,

Diane Mandy said...

I am so sorry! I am thinking of you both.

Enny said...

Oh dear... I'm so sorry to hear that things just seem to be getting worse and worse :o(

Both of you are in my thoughts.

Lpeg said...

thinking of you and scott. i hope things can only get better from here.

Anonymous said...

Someone once said to me "if you think you're in hell - keep walking" Keep walking, dear! I will carry your bag if you need me to - I am rooting for both of you!

AmyB said...

Oh Sarah...when will the shit-storm end for you?! I'm praying it does SOON. Try to take this weekend for you and Scott only. You'll get through this. I'm sending good thoughts your way. (((HUGS)))

dont eat the token said...

>:-\
Scary and frustrating. I sincerely hope and pray that he has a full recovery. Those stitches/scar will be a badge of survival. I'm so glad he finally forced someone to take a look. It seems like the docter #1 who didn't even look at him should be charged with something - ineptitude or lack of consciable (sp?) care.

Waiting rooms are hell.

I wish there was something magical I could say about your thyroid. Just a hug, for each little lymphnode!

Anonymous said...

I'll think good thoughts for you <3

Anonymous said...

My thoughts are with you Sarah - I think it's great that you're still blogging - I find it a real release and I hope you do too?

Take care.

nicole said...

oh my gosh!
i stumbled through your page, and i have to admit, the first sentence caught my eye.
call me a nosy stranger, but i read your story, and hunny, my heart goes out to you and your family.
i am so sorry for the amount of misfortune you are facing, and i respect the amount of endurance you have to pull through it and maintain a positive attitude.
you and your boyfriend are in my prayers, and if you don't mind, i'd like to keep reading to hear how everything turns out.
*big hugs*
remember that God won't make you go through anything that He knows you can't handle.
hang in there.
my favorite thing to keep in mind at trying times is a quote from walt disney, "everything will be ok in the end. if everything is not ok, then it's not yet the end."

nicole

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com