~Thursday, December 22, 2005

Day 2

We had to get up really early the next morning because we had snowboarding plans. I was worried he was going to be like every other guy that you hook up with and pretend nothing happened. But he kissed me good morning and through the drive to the mountains, he kept his hand on my knee.

We get to the mountains and I meet his friend Matt. One thing I always loved about Nick was that he has very cool and sincere friends: Matt was no exception. Matt hung around while Nick tried to get me up and running on the snowboard. Unfortunately, I have no talent when it comes to snowboarding and after a couple of hours, I took a break and let the boys hit the slopes.

Then it happened. The thing I hate most about myself in relationships is that I get pissed at the guy in front of his friends. It's perhaps the uncoolest thing a girl can do and it's inevitable with me. I felt somewhat justified in this scenario though:

I had completely given up on snowboarding for the day and had rented skis where I am a lot more comfortable. This way, I would be able to keep up with the boys and the 3 of us could hang together. I just walk out of the lodge with skis in hand, although I hadn't actually been on them in 5 years. My plan was to do a run down the greenie slope to get reacquainted and then follow the boys. Nick sees me and says simply, "Follow me."

Like an idiot I do. Nick and Matt catch a ride on the lift and I catch the next one by myself. We go about 2/3rds up the mountain and I'm a little nervous. It's a big effing mountain. Then they go up ANOTHER lift that goes to the top of the mountain. "It's not harder," they say, "just longer." Like an idiot I follow them up again. To the top of the effing mountain. And see the biggest effing drop I've ever seen in my life.

They get to the top and fly down the mountain, leaving me up there alone. I tackle it a little slowly and just when I was gaining my confidence, I hit the big drop. I cut hard to the right to slow me down and I check behind me: another skier is heading for the exact place I am. I curse very loudly, cut hard to the left, crossed over under the ski lift into a blocked off path, flip, and slide about 8 feet down the mountain head-first.

It scared the ever-living crap out of me. I just laid there in the snow, too stunned to move, and a man riding the lift above me shouted down and asked me if I was okay. I was fine, but I was shaking and scared shitless.

Then it hits me: where the eff is Nick? He is actually taking his second pass down the mountain and shouts to me if he should bring my lunch up to me. He meant it completely innocently, but I psyched myself out and can't figure how to get down this effing mountain. I drive 2 states to see him and he's off with his buddy, riding the lifts and slopes with him; I'm all alone. And I got pissed. I made it halfway down the mountain, almost in tears, and I saw him slow down and wait for me. I didn't smile, shot him an "eat shit"glance from behind my sunglasses, and chose another route down than what he was on.

I got down the mountain, took my skis off, and headed towards the lodge. I just needed to sit and calm down so I could stop shaking. Eff if I was going to tell him where I was going. I think Nick told Matt what happened and they were also headed towards the slope I took down, intercepted me, and offered to break for lunch.

I was quiet at lunch until Nick asked if I wanted to kick his ass. The situation was diffused. When we went back out, I told Nick to go with Matt, and let me do some passes down the greenie slopes, but to meet up with me later and actually do some runs with me and keep pace with me. I came down the mountain and I saw him sitting in the snow, watching me. I pulled up right to him and just when I was about to do a cool stop...I fell.

He was waiting for me.

Since my little episode I was a little worried that I had ruined things with us. But as soon as we we're alone again, he wraps his arms around me. We got in his car for another long ride to his mountain house. I immediately find his jacuzzi and fill it up and get in. I'm pretty banged up and I see some gnarly bruises forming. Nick comes in the bathroom and I ask if he wants to join me. He disappears, returns with a single candle, shuts off the lights, and gets in. And he gets friendly. Very friendly. I didn't reciprocate because I didn't want it to end up sex in the tub. He becomes quiet and I assume he's relaxing or meditating. Except after the tub, he can't stay still and paces around the house.

He finally settles on the couch. Without speaking, I make some tea, grab my book, and settle on the couch across from him and begin to read. After a few pages I steal a glance at him. He's watching me and he has the slightest smile. It melts my heart to think about it. Still silent, I close my book, grab the blanket, and crawl right on top of him and lay down. He strokes my hair for a few minutes and asks me if I'm upset. I tell him I'm not and I ask him the same.

"Why do you ask?"
"Simply because you asked me."
"Fair enough. No, I'm not."

He proceeds to tell me that he got pissed at me in the tub for not reciprocating, but he's over it. "I'm here now," I respond and he seems okay with this answer.

So day 2 into this fling and we already had our first fight. This can't be a good sign.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't panic, it didn't seem like it was too bad of an argument and I don't think it bothered him. Don't worry to much about timing, enjoy the moments for what they are, thinking too far ahead will just ruin you. BTW I'm jealous it sounds like you 2 have a very nice time.

Sarah said...

Yea! We totally did. :)

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com