~Thursday, May 25, 2006

#&%*@!

Remember Becker? Of course you wouldn't, I hardly remember him either.

He calls me up last week and I'm going to quote him:

"Hey Sarah, I bought 2 tickets to see this movie that's only playing for one night. Do you want to go with me? You're the first person I asked!"
I liked the movie enough to own a copy of it, and I thought it would be cool to see it on the big screen so I said yes.

Turns out the movie was for Monday night. No big deal, I just had to skip the gym after work to go home and take care of my dog before I meet him.

Becker shows up with another girl. I have no idea who she is and we look at each other awkwardly. I stuck my hand out and introduced myself. Becker never explained who she was, but apparently he just gave her a ride to the theatre to meet up with other people because I never saw her again.

Then Becker hands me my ticket, "That's 9 dollars."

What? Are you kidding me? Did you really invite me to see a movie with you, mentioning you already had 2 tickets, and then charge me for mine? Are you serious?

My jaw fell open, I just know it did. I think I mumbled, "Thanks."

My mind raced. Could someone just refuse to pay like I wanted to? Or would that make me look like a spoiled princess? I never carry cash on me so I know I couldn't pay him back that night, I could just say I'll pay him next time and have there never be a next time. Instead I just chose to ignore the whole thing, pretending I didn't hear him.

Do people still do that? To be honest, I can't remember the last time a guy asked me out AND paid for me. Every time I tell my best friend in Florida about a date, he asks, "Did he pay for you?" Every time I tell him no. "You need a guy that will take care of you, Sarah," he sighs.

I sighed too, Monday night sitting in a movie theatre with another guy who's only concerned for his ticket.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is what I do. I pay once.. and next time my gf pays... I dont know. It is just my way of going out on dates.

Himu

Anonymous said...

Umm yeah, seriously Sarah what an ass! You most definitely need and deserve someone who is not a cheap ass, and yes they are still out there. Hell I am not even dating anyone but yet with all my friends we take turns footing the bills, it's understood that way. Hardly ever does anyone ever just pay their portion unless we are all real broke and can only afford ourselves.

But seriously, he asked you out saying he had an extra ticket - and it's not like it was a hundred dollar ticket to a concert!

M said...

it's not that I really think men should pay all the time, but in that situation it was just plain rude and ungentlemanly for him not to just give you the ticket without any of the extra.

Gabriel K. said...

That's pretty harsh. Why do you even answer when he calls if you know the way he can be?

It's not that a guy should pay all the time, it's just that he invited you to a movie and then asked you to pay for the ticket. Who does that?

Sarah said...

I agree they shouldn't pay all the time, but this was a clear invite with the tickets already purchased and no previous mention of me having to pay him back.

Jenni said...

Becker is a clueless moron. If that had happened to me I really think I would've told him to go to hell as soon as he told me it was $9. Then slammed the door in his face. It's completely okay to be a princess when you are absolutely justified. And sometimes it just makes you feel better to call an idiot an idiot.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you are so polite, just letting your jaw drop. I would've dropped my and said "Excuse me? You do NOT ask someone out saying you have an extra ticket and then ask them to pay! What kind of an ass are you????" Then I'd leave.


That's what I did during prom anyway. I mean, cm'on, you can just hook up with someone else there.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com