~Thursday, May 11, 2006

The E-mail

It took him 4 days, but I finally received an e-mail from Blind Date Boy. Our mutual friend thought it would be easier if we exchange e-mails first. His e-mail was carefully worded and nothing less than charming. I was going to practice the new me, the casual one who can take or leave boys. I rounded up the girls and we all went to lunch yesterday. After we placed our order, I pulled the e-mail out of my purse.

The girls read it and sighed. They loved it. They said he obviously put some time in it and it was a really great letter.

"I know. I need your help so I don't screw this up," I said.

As a group, we balance each other out. I'm the crazy, unafraid one, E is the shy one, and L is the sensible one with the long term boyfriend. I needed sensible and shy, not forward and crazy. Together over lunch we drafted a letter back. It mirrored his, ended with a question to solicit a response, and on the whole was light and breezy, punctuated with a few jokes. Everyone was really pleased.

"When are you going to send it?" asked L.

"I don't know."

"Wait until tonight to send it," said E.

"No," L smiled and leaned over the table. "Send it tomorrow morning."

I saved the draft to my computer and glanced at it periodically throughout the afternoon at work. I wanted to send it, but didn't. I got home, pulled out some knitting, and sat in front of the TV. It was raining. I checked my e-mail, thought of sending the letter, and I didn't.

I made it until 9 am this morning and I am extremely proud of myself.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ooh I want to know what the letters said!!!! That was a good plan of having them help you draft the first letter. Can't wait to hear more.

Jenni said...

It's great to have good friends to go to for advice. This looks like a good start! Keep us posted.

Anonymous said...

::Sigh:: I wish I had "girls"

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com