~Wednesday, June 14, 2006

The Rules: a book review

Oh dear god.

Has anyone actually read this?

It's completely psychotic.

Let me quote for a minute:

Do everything you possible can to put your best face forward. If you have a bad nose, get a nose job...
Seriously?

I'm at a loss for words here.

Let's continue:
Men prefer long hair, something to play with and caress. It doesn't matter what your hairdresser and your friends think. You're certainly not trying to attract them! Let's face it, hairdressers are notorious for pushing exciting, short haircuts on their clients; trimming long hair is not fun for them...
These women are the Nazis of the dating world! Short haired women with unfortunate noses go straight to the gas chamber. They do not pass go, they do not collect $200.

The book never pauses long enough to decide whether or not you like the man, that doesn't seem the point here. It seems like the goal of this book is to find a man who loves you more than you love him. That way, you'll never get hurt. Actually, I'm sure if I search long enough, I could make that a direct quote.

It was filled with "evidence" to prove themselves right. There's one rule that a woman is never supposed to talk to a man first. Never ever. Then it goes on:
Our dentist friend Pam initiated a friendship with Robert when they met in dental school several years ago by asking him out to lunch. She spoke to him first. Although they later became lovers and even lived together, he never really seemed "in love" with her... He recently broke up with her over something trivial.
First of all, Pam doesn't exist. Secondly, this is as close to comedic gold as it gets.

And now, the Rules I broke on Sunday:
  • Rule #3: Don't Stare at Men or Talk Too Much. I filled silences by asking him questions. The book says to let him struggle through those silences. I'm so naughty!
  • Rule #4: Don't Meet Him Halfway or Go Dutch on a Date. Because he paid for dinner, I bought a beer later on, I'm such a rebel!
  • Rule #11: Always End a Date First. I didn't, E did. Whoops.
So I am destined for a lifetime of loneliness and misery. Shucks.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I have to say is: Oh lord!

Jenni said...

That book sounds completely strange. People are entirely too uniquie to apply those rules too broadly.

Gabriel K. said...

Geez... Women buy anything don't they?

~ martha ~ said...

I can't believe you broke those rules, Sarah. You may as well become a nun now, if you don't take this advice your going to end up dating a guy for a few years who is going to break up with you because of something trivial. Then what are you going to do with your life.

Wow, that books seems very strange.

v said...

Advice books are often simply meant to enforce and reinforce certain societal prejudices and/or authoritarian rules. In other words, let's bring back the stereotypical Fifties, shall we?

I like long hair, but I have yet to refuse to date someone with medium-length hair.

Now crewcuts, well... :-)

Anonymous said...

I am a guy and let me analyze those rules :D for you lah ok.

* Do everything you possible can to put your best face forward. If you have a bad nose, get a nose job...
Seriously?
My 2 cent view: ummm... Nose job? I don't know about that because the first thing I see of a girl is her nose. However, I will not call a girl the next day unless I feel any connection in my personality with her and feel "something"

*Men prefer long hair..
My 2 cent view: I care the least of hair. However, I think guys have a tendency to see something unusual in life. However, if you wish to stick with a guy, then it is best to be nature . And let the guy like you slowly and then love you :-) Works best lah.

Rule #3: Don't Stare at Men or Talk Too Much.
My View: Please please please stare! And talk more and more and more:D

Rule #4: Don't Meet Him Halfway ...
Answer: It does not matter who pays . The main thing is you two have good times right?

Rule #11: Always End a Date First.
My view: The best part is when the date does not end in reality. You go home and get his phone call. Or you go home and send him an email and you get a call or the other way round. you two end up talking whole night. That is the best right?

M said...

Oprah or Sally Jesse or Ricki or ..someone else of this ilk did a whole show on this book once. The audience was full of women screaming hysterically about how wonderful the rules were.

Women have too many conflicting ideas about what we should do to "get a man". It's confusing. Why doesn't anyone ever say - "fuck 'em, just be yourself if they still don't want you it means they're completely dumb and superficial, go for a chick instead?'.

Sarah said...

Mmm, this was fun. Maybe I'll list more rules to mock and you boys can counter!

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com