~Monday, June 12, 2006

The Civil War and Dysentary

E got a fatty.

She was not happy about that.

"You have your thing with teeth and bald people," she said. "Let me have my thing with fat guys!"

"I also have a thing with voices," I said.

To be fair, E's date wasn't a Dungeons and Dragons Cheeto-stained finger breed of fatty. He was more of a ex-athlete fatty. And a complete sweetheart.

My dreams of the four of us group dating have been dashed.

E's not in a good mood today. She was disappointed with the whole ordeal. Personally, I liked him. He was funny, loved karaoke, and a perfect gentleman, but E's not attracted and that's all that matters.

***

When I asked for last minute advice from the girl that set us up, she said, "Be yourself." I immediately scoffed her. Who is herself on the first date? You're sweet and polite and proper.

So I asked her husband for advice before I left work on Friday. "Be bold," he said. "BDB is really shy so you need to be bold to bring him out of his shell."

"If I was bold, I'd scare him away," I retorted. Last thing I need is a frightened boy on my hands.

***

They were waiting for us at the bar in the front of the restaurant. They closed out their tabs and we got a table in the darkest restaurant ever. An old man wearing a Daffy Duck tie seated us and offered to get us a drink. The place reminded me of some mafia owned restaurant where you see the old man in the corner wearing sunglasses and smoking a cigar. I checked, there was none.

The first five minutes were painful. Then I announced my mafia comment. E then said that this restaurant must only employ really old people, like from a program or something. "Well, when they're not working at Publix," I joked.

"Or greeting at Wal-Mart," laughed E's date.

"He looks like that dancing guy from the Six Flags commercial," spoke BDB and we all laughed.

The conversation didn't pause after that. Being the outgoing ones, E's date and I carried most of the conversation. We talked of the most random things imaginable, like who could name the most obscure fact about Jewel. I was so comfortable that I forgot I was going to try to be reserved, but I was myself to the core. (My obscure fact about Jewel was her book of poetry mentions her breast in every poem.)

BDB didn't talk much and I worried he was disappointed with meeting me, but I remembered that he was shy. I caught his eye a few times. We spent so much time laughing and talking that we barely touched our food. I was already planning weekends to the beach in my head that would never happen. When the check came the boys paid. I told BDB I would buy him a beer at the concert.

We got to the park and E and I found some chairs and we all sat. E said something to her date and I high fived her for it. I looked at BDB, "I'm trying to bring back the high five," I explained. "Well that and 'Not.' As in, 'That was a great movie. Not.'" (Oh god, I can really be such a loser at times.)

Instead of looking horrified or frightened, BDB laughed.

It was then we paired off. E talked with her date and I talked with BDB nonstop. We talked about my college, his college, MySpace versus Facebook, the civil war and dysentery: we got really silly. He was a really good sport and kept up with my antics.

I was feeling buzzed and was in such a good mood that I leaned into him and whispered, "Hey lets go to the bar and do shots." It was the second one really that done me in. He bet me I wouldn't do a shot of Crown and you don't tell me that I won't do anything.

When we left and started walking back to our cars, I looped my arm inside his to steady myself. He put his arm around me. When I got in E's car, BDB closed the door for me. Good manners turn me on.

I was myself and I had such a good time. That's all that counts. It doesn't matter to me if he calls or not.

7 comments:

Gabriel K. said...

I used to enjoy rolling up a fatty back in the day... E sort of set herself up for disappointment because she asked to be setup. I love how you describe what kind of "fatty" he wasn't.

It's nice to know that you could be yourself on a first date. It's sad to know that you guys won't be a foursome though.

Jenni said...

I'm soooo glad to read that YOU had a good time. You completely deserve it. Regardless of a call from him...it sounds like it was all fun. Some of the things you wrote that were said...I think you sound like you have a great sense of humor, certainly not a loser!

Sarah said...

Gabriel- I feel that way too, I just didn't want to say it.

Jenni- I had the best possible time I could have had, I think I value that the most over anything else!

Oh, and I didn't feel too tall or that my head was too big once!

M said...

sounds like awesome fun!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you had fun.. I think that we get all too caught up in the technicalities in dating that we often forget to have fun.

And by saying fat, how fat are we talking about?

Sarah said...

Think ex-football player or ex wrestler. He had a thick neck, arms the size of barrels that stick out from the side, and a beer belly. He's tall, which helped. You certainly noticed he's overweight, but not in a obese kind of way. I'd say he weighed around 250.

Anonymous said...

I would say that she is being too picky in that situation. If he's an ex-athlete and ONLY 250 then you can always encourage him to get back in the gym by going with you (Her). Plus like you said he had a good personality!

But I guess like she said everyone has their quirks.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com