~Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Countdown to Breakdown

What's-his-face and I were sitting in a Japanese restaurant.

"Sushi makes me happy," I giggled. I couldn't stop smiling at the menu in front of me. "I was at a sushi bar in Peachtree City and this Japanese guy sits next me. He was actually Japanese-- his wife in kids still live in Japan and he works here and sends them money. He told me that hibachi is a purely American thing. They don't have hibachi in Japan. The idea of that really upset me, I love hibachi too!" I babbled.

The bill came. The waitress set it directly in front of what's-his-face and walked away. He pulled it to him and opened it up. Don't do it, I told myself, but I went for the fake reach again. Very slowly.

"Split it down the middle," he told the waitress. Dammit!

"Let's go to my friend's house," he said.

"Huh?"

"He has a pool table and more people might be coming over. Do you mind?"

"Uh, no. That's fine."

"Okay so I'll drive you back to your car and you can follow me there."

Sexy.

We were walking back through a gravel lot to his car. I was walking slowly, heels make gravel difficult to maneuver through. He actually sped up to get around some people walking in front of us. By the time I made it to his car, he was sitting behind the wheel waiting for me. I opened my own car door and got in.

This might be the difference between Yankees and Southerners. I am used to having car doors opened for me. I am used to not having to go dutch. I'm not used to following my date around in my own car. How am I supposed to feel romantically towards someone that's treating me like a friend?

As I'm following what's-his-face to his friend's house, I felt the urge to turn left and go home. I don't know anything about this guy. He doesn't call me, except to make plans. And the one chance I'm getting to find out who he is, is being spent at his friend's house.

I'm not a shy person by any standards, but the three of them were talking about things and people I have no idea about. I did pick up on the fact that what's-his-face, his friend, and his friend's wife are all unemployed and all they do is hang out with each other all day every day. And they all own homes.

This is beyond me. I work full-time and have an apartment I can barely afford and none of them work and own houses. How is that couple still married, sitting around the house together all the time? She was saying how she just ordered a semi-truck double stacked with furniture. What? I still buy second hand furniture!

"So where did you go for dinner?" the wife asks.

"Sushi. I thought of you while we were there," what's-his-face responds. "You know, they don't have hibachi in Japan. It's a purely American thing."

I eyed him incredulously, he didn't give me any credit for knowing that. All of a sudden I got dizzy and had to find a place to sit down. I couldn't see straight and it felt like there were a pile of bricks on my chest. That's what my ex used to do, take credit for my ideas and my knowledge to make himself look smarter. Screw how I looked, he just took and took and sucked me dry. My mind flashed through the whole ugly unfolding of my relationship with the ex and I couldn't breathe.

Why does what's-his-face need to look smarter? He's a lawyer. Why couldn't he just say, "Sarah told me that?" I felt plagiarized.

This is new. I never knew I had this issue. I thought I had grown so much, but I was sitting on a toilet with my head between my knees. "I'm damaged," I whispered into my hands. I haven't even been with my ex for five years and I'm on the verge of having a panic attack. "I'm damaged," I said again, louder, to acknowledge it. I blew my nose and wiped my sweaty palms on my knees.

I thought I was doing so well, but apparently I am not.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Personally I think all guys do that. Hell, mine will blame us not going out on me! I'll say I want to go out with the friends, and he'll say "I really don't feel up to it," call up the friends and say "She's not feeling well, we'll catch up with you another time." What is up with that? So it's not you, you are NOT damaged.

M said...

hm, I've had the same convo with myself - except I used the word 'broken'. I don't know if broken can be fixed but I think damaged can. You just have to find a non-dickhead who will actually recognise how great you are.

How am I supposed to feel romantically towards someone that's treating me like a friend?

exactly.

v said...

DS: Sometimes it just takes longer to heal than you think. Sometimes you're not as far along as you thought you were, or you're temporarily back where you were. It doesn't mean it won't get better.

And, please, please, please tell me that the "what's his face" thing is over. Stop when the light turns yellow, not red.

YSCF: Not all guys, thanks! Just as I don't blame all women for my ex doing the exact same thing to me all the time, taking credit for my work, thought, etc.

Gabriel K. said...

I think that you should have stopped when you started calling him "Whats-his-face."

You're not damaged goods. You've experienced what you don't like in men and you've just had a relaps.

Anonymous said...

Hun, you are not damaged. I am completely over ex#1 (abusive) and ex#2 (not call) and when someone does something that is remotely even like those situations I get panic attacks. Hell I don't think I would be sitting here single if I didn't. The break up was complete misunderstandings and freak outs over our "trigger qualities" that provoke those exact same feelings you had of anxiety on both our parts.

Move on to the next guy, someone who you mesh better with and can have fun with.

Sarah said...

So I'm not a complete freak for getting into a fit over that? I feel like a freak, who cares over things like that?

I can't express to you what a shock it was to learn how I reacted to that. I swear that's never happened before.

Yes, I think I need to move on. I gave him a fair chance.

Nick said...

All those little things are simply warning bells hon. Bad experience with ex- repeated in new relationship, spells end of new relationship. You're doing the right thing, by movin' on. If he ain't no gentleman, you don't have to behave like a lady. As Mez said You just have to find a non-dickhead who will actually recognise how great you are.

Jenni said...

I agree with everyone else. The problem is sooo not you. It's completely him. He did something that acutely reminded you of a quality you despise in the opposite sex. I'd say your reaction was a good thing. You still remember. It's good to remember what you refuse to put up with. Next time just skip the panic attack and go straight to, "See ya later. Oh, and lose my number."

AmyB said...

UGH...this guy was a creep!!! I hope you never went out with him again. Blech. :o( So sorry you had that experience, but it is nice to know you got past it!

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com