~Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Naked Love

Nick and I had a good time. I did learn this trip that he and I could never be together. Not that I was secretly hoping for it, but when you're in bed and you wake and find him on the other side, you do begin to wonder.

During those night hours, when he would find me on my side of the bed and he would roll and wrap his arms around me, I felt nothing. I didn't sigh, I didn't sleep better, I didn't even think I wish I had this all the time. I don't know if I felt this way because it was Nick, or if I generally don't need a man.

Snuggling used to be one of my favorite things. I loved being the big spoon and wrapping myself around a man's back. I loved smooshing my face into his skin until I can barely breathe. I loved knocking his legs apart so I can squeeze one of mine in between so my knees don't touch. For the first time ever, I didn't feel that.

I'm okay with not feeling that.

During a conversation we had Saturday night, Nick explained his Buddhist beliefs. He said he didn't believe in attachment to anything because everything is fleeting. If you attach yourself to anything, you're setting yourself up for pain.

I thought I was cynical.

"But don't you want love? Soul baring love?" I asked.

"Yes, but you have to understand that everything changes. Tomorrow you will not be the person you are today. You have to love in the moment, not the future or the past."

I looked down at my beer: it was beginning to get warm. I guess I do want love, soul baring love. I want attachment and someone who will miss me when I'm not around. Nick was good enough for this weekend, but he's not good enough for life.

Funny, I always thought he was the better one of the two.

5 comments:

Nick said...

Hmm, He said he didn't believe in attachment to anything because everything is fleeting. If you attach yourself to anything, you're setting yourself up for pain.

Life is pain. Through suffering there is growth and development as a better person. To exist without experiencing the highs and lows in life is not really living. It's just existing.

I do want love, soul baring love. I want attachment and someone who will miss me when I'm not around. Me too. I want to be cared for, and to care for her. But at the same time, right now - I'm becoming happy being on my own. Sure the occasional dalliance, but ostensibly finding out who I am.

Anonymous said...

wow. is all i have to said. just read your blog tonight. and ... wow. i see me in you. you in me. Feels good to not be alone, but i know the pain. Know it all too much.

Anonymous said...

I don't know the guy but the converstation sounds like it's dialogue from a Raymond Chandler book about a buddhist detecti

"Stay away from me Dollface. I'm trouble. Existential trouble."

Jenni said...

Sounds like Buddists are full of crap. Well maybe it's not the religion...but just Nick's interpretation of it. But I'm with you. Attachment can be wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Attachment is wonderful for the right person, and even then it's the hardest thing in life to have. Like the others have said life and love are pain, but without that pain we wouldn't exist as human beings.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com