~Tuesday, July 14, 2009

News

Today I was offered a permanent position (and health insurance!) at the company I had been working under contract for. Which means this weekend I get to put a deposit down on a new apartment.

One reason I was so hesitant to leave Scott was knowing I would have to give up my apartment. The one I had been living in for years before I met him. (He would not have left if I asked him to, so really it was the only option to get away from him.) I loved that building. I always viewed that original move into the city into that apartment building as my independence, and to give it up was rather difficult for me. I felt like I had been hurt and abused to the point where I could no longer take care of myself and I required rescuing, although my mother always told me that was not the case.

I've decided not to go back to Midtown (the borough I originally moved to because Christopher lived there. It was the only one I knew and I was told it was trendy at the time.) It's time to close that chapter and move on. Besides, the neighborhood was scary after dark and I would be stuck in traffic for most of my commute. I've decided to move to Westside.

I don't know much about the west side other than it's closer to most of my hangouts and convenient to work. It's the same price as Midtown due to an up-and-coming buzz about it and has a lot of new growth. It still has about the same amount of violence, so a neighborhood comparison will be interesting. Westside's Kroger doesn't have a scary nickname to my knowledge like my Midtown one did. That's an immediate improvement.

So, I will again be establishing my independence. And this time my independence will be from my partner rather than from my parents. Scott's currently lurking in a treatment facility in Downtown, so I will also be further away from him. Christopher is across 16 lanes of interstate highway in Brookwood. It feels good that I don't know anyone in my neighborhood; it's just more evidence that I'm doing this move for me.

I have a hard time remembering that May, and subsequently my breakup and unemployment and moving home, was only 2-1/2 months ago. I've encountered a pretty quick turnaround time on all fronts. I'm proud of myself for trudging ahead with life despite so many obstacles and I believe that the reason I'm doing so well is because I never stopped moving forward.

In four short weeks I will be living on my own again, debating the necessity of cable TV and eating Chinese dumplings for dinner. I can't wait.

14 comments:

Jessica said...

Sounds like your doing just fine, All the best.

J said...

Congrats! You are amazing and I am in awe of how well you have been doing.

nicole said...

woohoo!! NEW job, NEW relationship (or the prospects of one...), NEW apartment! you're starting a fresh, clean, and new slate! it feels amazing, doesn't it?? it's such a relief to FINALLY be free! =D i'm so proud of you for staying so strong and hanging in there until the clouds clear.
keep moving forward!
-your friendly, vegas blog stalker, nicole =]

Dora said...

Wonderful news about the job! And I am glad that things are getting better for you.

Anonymous said...

dood, i'm impressed! i couldn't do it. so so proud of you. make it your own. and i'm glad you didn't let anyone else's location influence yours, which i myself have had a tendency to do.

now i want to know the kroger nickname!

Lpeg said...

good for you. we're all as proud of you as you are of yourself, and glad to see that you have trudged ahead, no matter how hard it has been :)

Emma said...

Congrats Sarah. You've done so much and in so little time. You have so much to be proud of! I hope you like your new place! It's always fun to make something "your own".

And double congrats on getting a permanent position! Especially in this economy.

MamaBear said...

Congrats! (again)

Sidetrack: I've never really seen the point of cable. It's not sufficiently entertaining to justify its cost. But you can work that out for yourself soon. :-D

Fannie said...

Congrats Sarah ! That's awesome :) and a very BIG step forward ! Very exciting move and "promotion" at work !! So happy for you Girly !

Erin said...

You have an amazing turn-around time! You are a strong woman. Keep on going.

Dawn said...

Congratulations on the permanent postion (and health insurance!).

Congratulations on the apartment.

Congratulations on the independence.

Congratulations on the re-emerging of your self-confidence. That's the only thing that you didn't clearly mention in your post, but it's there, in every single word you wrote. Congratulations!

AmyB said...

CONGRATS! I'm so happy for you. You deserve this more than anyone knows. :o)

gekkogirl said...

Sarah, you absolutely rock. Congratulations on the job and on the move. Looking forward to reading about all your new adventures as you discover all the cool places and get up to all sorts of fun things.

love, love, love x

Paige Jennifer said...

Clearly I'm behind in my reading (sorry).

Congrats!!!! Steps forward, and impressive happy ones at that. Enjoy your new digs. Well deserved, my dear. Well deserved indeed.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com