~Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Birthday Wishes

I paced around my apartment Sunday night-- Christopher hadn't called. I sat down on the couch, frustrated, and picked up the remote and flipped angrily through a few channels. I put the remote back down and got back up and paced some more in my tiny living room. Finally I let out an exasperated breath and ran to my cell phone and called him. I counted the 6 rings and waited for the voice mail which promptly picked up with its generic message, "This number is not avail..." I hung up the phone and paced some more. I never leave messages on voice mail unless I have more to say than "Call me back."

I was officially mad at Christopher. It was my birthday weekend and he hasn't called yet. At this moment I did have more to say to him than "call me back," but he probably wouldn't want to hear it. Or ever call again. I was mad at Christopher and he didn't even know it.

I sat back down on my couch and had the umpteenth drink of the weekend. I nosed around a few more channels. Repeats. As I saw the bottom of my glass, I reached an epiphany: how is Christopher supposed to please me when he has no idea what I wanted. I was mad at him for not calling me and he didn't even know it was my birthday. I sit around and expect him to make all the moves and make all the effort and I still reserve the right to get pissed if I don't get what I want. I am behaving like a true girl.

I found my cell phone between the couch cushions and called his number again. It had only been 10 minutes since my last call, but I didn't care. Six more rings, then voice mail.

"Hello Christopher, it's Sarah. It's my birthday. I want you to call me back and then come over."

Christopher called within a half hour. "Happy birthday!" he said. "I had no idea! I don't have a gift for you but I can write you a check."

"I don't want a check! That's what grandparents are for."

"Well, I'm out at a bar watching the Braves game, why don't you come join me and I'll buy your drinks?"

"Deal."

And I got what I wanted for my birthday, all I had to do was ask.

5 comments:

Jenni said...

That is really wonderful! I am soooo glad it worked out. Hope you two had a great time that night!

Anonymous said...

Hey, what a concept.. tell them what you want. I mean who knew that it could be that simple hehe..


Happy birthday again! Hope it was fun.

Anonymous said...

Hope ur next year is less of a heartbreak than this year and hope you give less heartbeak than last year hehe.

M said...

happy belated b'day! :)

I need to remember that 'ask and ye shall receive thing'. it's a good one.

Gabriel K. said...

Happy belated birthday!

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com