~Wednesday, May 31, 2006

I'm pleased.

Blind Date Boy called. We talked on the phone for 45 minutes. The conversation went well, we spoke of me being new to the city and subsequently my mishaps and adventures.

"You have such great stories," he said.

He shared a few of his own when he was new and somehow it turned into a conversation of stupid things he's done while drunk. I wanted to be on good behavior so I didn't share any of those stories, but I listened to his. I think we were going for the "make each other laugh" routine.

When I told him about this dirty salsa club I ended up at last weekend (Famous last words walking up the stairs: "This place smells like pee."), he started to say, "Well I know not to take you th--" before he cut himself off. It was cute.

Awkward pauses were kept at a minimum, but there were a few. When he said it was time for him to go, he would start to say goodbye then lose his train of thought and begin to laugh. I took his hemming and hawing as a good sign and I just sat there and listened to him squirm. I won't lie, I had fun just listening. The last time someone was nervous around me was Nick almost 6 months ago. I miss that. I miss the newness and the excitement of things, it's the best part.

BDB was still trying to complete a coherent thought, "Anything you would like to add?"

What? No one has ever asked me that at the end of a phone call before. I don't think I've ever been asked that outside of a business setting. I was so bewildered and caught off guard that my response became quite a pause.

"Well, uh, I'm glad we finally got a chance to talk. (Pause) I'm pleased."

"You're what?"

"Pleased. I'm pleased." I put my head in my hand and shook it. Great. I was going to come off as flawless until he asked me that. Who says that?

"Well, I hope to talk to you again soon," he said as I simultaneously muttered, "Have a good night." I just wanted off the phone. Who says, "I'm pleased?" British Parliament?

Overall impression: I don't know. He sounded nice, but I didn't feel any sparks. I haven't met him yet and I refuse to get excited over someone I haven't even met.

The plan: Wait for him to call again. My friends say send him a short e-mail saying I had a good time talking to him to encourage him, but I don't want to force anything.

5 comments:

M said...

hehe, I get excited over people I haven't met all the time! ;)

Gabriel K. said...

I can just imagine you shaking your head as you said, "I'm pleased." Hilarious!

Jenni said...

It's wonderful that things are going well so far. The "newness" is indeed great. Don't worry too much over the "I'm pleased." It's not like it's Swahili or something. Just laugh about it. I hope things are better than expected when you go out.

Anonymous said...

You've gotta love the random comments that leave you shaking your head for hours in bewilderment. I would say don't worry about it much, and keep doin what your doin, if he's even half a man he will overcome his shyness.

~ martha ~ said...

I think "Pleased" sounds so nice, like you are releaved that everything went well. You can't act too excited about the new prospect and you can't be that mellow about it either. I think what you said will bring him back for another date. :)

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com