~Friday, June 09, 2006

Double double, tulle and trouble

"I think E is jealous of you," whispers L.

"Why is that?"

"Because you were offered a set-up and she wasn't."

I smiled, thinking back to when my mother said, "If you're happy, then people will want to be around you." It finally paid off. I'm happy and this girl I only met twice thinks of me when trying to set up BDB. I won. I never win anything.

"Anyways, I told her that E wanted to be set-up too, and she called back within an hour and a half with a boy in mind for her."

My smile faded. Now I was jealous. I didn't win anymore. Apparently this is something our friend can do for anybody, not just newly transformed happy people.

My set-up should have a greater chance of working out. I didn't ask for it; it merely fell upon me in a rare moment of good fortune. I let that thought keep my chin up. I didn't ask...

Then E and I found out that our dates know each other. They aren't friends, but they roam in the same and apparently very wide social circle. (I've done less with people than they have done together and have considered them good friends.) So she set it up: the 4 of us would go out together this weekend.

E's boy seemed okay and all of a sudden I was daydreaming about everything working out and the 4 of us are going to hang out. all. the. time.

"We're going to do everything together!" I told E over dinner last week.

"Yeah, she laughs. We'll get engaged together and have our weddings together!"

I immediately choked on a piece of cheese I just put in my mouth. My mind overloaded with tulle and the cheese got lodged in my throat. E just laughs harder.

I'm glad there are people out there who don't make me feel so crazy anymore.

T-minus 2 days to the big date. I'm excited. I genuinely think BDB's and my personalities match. Same for E and her date.

Only...

Only E's date called her several times this week and they talk 3 hours at a time. BDB and I have been going on communicating 5 weeks now and I've received 2 phone calls, each under 30 minutes. Granted, I'm not a phone person, but I'm jealous again at the attention she's receiving. Moreover, the attention I'm not receiving.

E is 5 inches shorter than me and I'm currently cursing my German heritage. She's small and petite and when I'm next to her, everything about me is bigger. Not only am I taller, but my waist is bigger, my head is bigger, and my shoulders are broader. I've never felt bad for being tall before, but I'm hating it right now.

"I wonder how tall BDB is," I mused.

"Yeah, I forget you have to worry about stuff like that. I would too if I were you. You better wear flip flops just in case you're taller. With me, a guy could be 5'5" and I wouldn't care because he's still bigger."

My eyes glazed over. What if both boys want E because she's so small and cute? I can imagine it. They spot us and both of them see her with her trendy bracelets and hair and say, "That's my date!" And I would have to sit through dinner and a concert, slowly getting drunk while they fawn all over her.

But then again, I tend to overthink things...

Edit: Just found out BDB is 5'9." Definitely have to bust out the flip flops...

13 comments:

Gabriel K. said...

I think that you're def. overthinking things. Do all women think like this?

Have you tried calling him at all? Maybe he's waiting for you to call? Just a thought.

Sarah said...

E just confirmed she thinks like this too.

I told her my fears of both of them falling for her. "I'll get my own table. I'll order a pitcher and a straw. I'll bring a book. Y'all just let me know when you're done."

She laughed so hard she cried.

~ martha ~ said...

I think most women are to blame for overthinking things. But relax Sarah, you can't go into this thing feeling upset. Like you said at the beginning. If your happy people will want to be around you.
(although you may want to down a pitcher before the men come just incase they do fall for her. You'd then be ready)

Gabriel K. said...

What if E's guy likes you and BDB likes E?

Would downing down the pitcher mean that you've already set your mind up on this failing and the guys falling over E? If so, why go out on the date?

Sarah said...

Martha- I've already thought of that!

Gabriel- We would switch! (We've already discussed this...)

I think the talk of alcohol is to take the edge off not only having a blind date, but also to have a blind date with witnesses.

Gabriel K. said...

What if you do switch and E's guy is shorter?

Sarah said...

He's 6'1." See I have to ask these questions.

Gabriel K. said...

That's a good height.

Sandals - Check!
Booze - Check!

Anonymous said...

hahahha! I seriously hate dating for these reasons alone, especially with our overanalytical minds! Don't worry Sarah it's a female thing and you are not that abnormal for it!

M said...

hehe, girls are the worst for overthinking! I do it all the time too. I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time though :)

Anonymous said...

Helpful Hint: Short Girls feel they are being overshadowed by taller girls if the taller girls are a little louder. Be a little louder during the date, maybe interupt her a few times. She'll fade into the wallpaper!

Before anyone get's all mad at me, I'm 5'3".

Jenni said...

Sarah! You are too funny! But my laughs are stifled because I've been in your shoes: overthinking everything. By the way I am 5'6 and am of the opinion that taller is beautiful. Walk tall! Thank God we're not all itty bitty and short. There's a man out there who will find every inch of you irresistable. Just have FUN!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey i'm 5'4 1/2"(heehe) and damn if I am itty bitty, I still sure as hell make myself seen. I agree that tall is beautiful, when you are taller you look more sleek and put together in your clothes for some reason.

BTW, It's Monday and we have no updates... impatiently waiting here! lol.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com