~Thursday, August 03, 2006

Girl, you'll be a woman

I gave Mel a call last night. At 25, she's dating someone for the first time and I wanted to check up on her to see how she's doing. Besides, she's waited long enough-- it's her time to gloat.

"How are you and new guy?"

"We're good. We've gone out twice and both times he's spent the night. He left this morning and sent me a text message this afternoon."

"Aww, that's sweet of him."

"Only..."

"Only what?"

"When he left this morning he made no mention of us hanging out again."

"But he sent you a text message this afternoon. What did it say?"

"He just asked how my afternoon was going."

"You're being completely ridiculous. I've dated guys that didn't call me back for three days because they were 'too busy' and you're working yourself up over someone who took the time to text you!"

"Yeah, I know, but he made no mention of us going out again. The weekend is approaching and I want to call him to see if we're going out--"

"No! Don't you dare do that!"

"Why won't he call?!" she whined. I'm sensing a theme here.

"YOU SAW HIM THIS MORNING! I assure you, he likes you!"

"But what if he doesn't call?! And Friday passes by and Saturday night passes by and I don't see him..."

"Girl, you are now a woman."

"What?"

"Congratulations, you're a woman now. Welcome to the life of sending ESP messages through your phone, trying telepathically to get him to call you..."

Mel said quietly, "You do that too?"

"Don't worry, by Sunday night you'll either be at the bottom of a gallon of ice cream, or completely tanked by yourself in your house. Either way by Sunday night you'll be in no condition for anyone to see you."

"OMIGOD. WHAT IF HE DOESN'T CALL ALL WEEKEND!??!"

"Like I said, congrats, you're dating now. It blows."

Oh, and he called before we got off the phone to tell her he would be out of town this weekend, but he wants to see her as soon as he gets back. So apparently she lucked out by getting the best first boyfriend ever. So it looks like I'll be the only one tanked on Sunday nights.

Mmm. Maybe E too, still no call from the police officer.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

To make up for my years of not calling when I said I would, I'll spend this weekend random dialling people.

M said...

phil, I'd like to hear about you getting back to those jilted dates from like 1996..."yeah, just getting back to you. Sorry 'bout the uh...wait, was really busy.."

Do guys ever feel as insecure as girls do about this sort of stuff (ie: do they *really* like me?).

v said...

:-)

Ummm... at least one does.

And in retrospect, at least two of the women I dated this year were just using me for sex. Sheesh. Women!

:-)

(All true, BTW.)

Anonymous said...

Dating is hard enough without the mind games. Guys/girls if you don't plan on calling a few simple words in the form of honesty go a long ways! And girls, don't overthink, we are notorious for that :)

Sarah said...

Phil, I expect a full report from Monday!

J said...

Overthiking is an art that I have mastered! I am trying not to fall into that pattern these days.

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com