~Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Thirty

I turned 30 over the weekend. I feel like I'm supposed to pen some coming-of-age, commemorative post. Except that I don't have a lot to say.

I spent the last year preparing to turn 30. I made a list of everything I ever said I wanted to do and began crossing them off. I didn't finish the list—there were four items left—but I accomplished a lot nonetheless. I ran a 5k. I shot a shotgun. I went pole dancing. I went down a zip line. I did things.

This summer I plan on rock climbing and kayaking and hang gliding. And maybe even finish those paper cranes.

I've been listening to a lot of punk lately. It's got a peppy, upbeat tempo that makes me happy. It's been years since I've listened to it. I've gone through two punk phases before: once in 2000 and again in 2006. Both times I was trying to claim my independence. I have no idea what I'm stake my independence from this time.

Last week I was at the bar of my old dodgeball league catching up with friends. "Next time you see me, I'll be a grown-up!" I laughed as I twirled.

The boy gaped his mouth open in disbelief. "You're turning 30? 30? You?"

The boy in question was 32, so I knew it wasn't the chronological age of 30; it was me being 30.

"You cannot be that old," he stressed. "You're just too young. I mean, you twirl in bars for god's sake." He picked up my hand and spun me around again in demonstration.

He made three. He's the third person in the last couple of weeks who has commented on me being young at heart.

I'm back. S and Christopher did not ruin me.

24 comments:

SaraJk said...

Happy Birthday! I too am on the brink of my 30th! It's been a daunting year thinking about it. You give me a hope that I can turn 30 be single, still be cool and life will be good!

Keep up the fantastic posts! You have me on the edge of my seat :)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! Life is way better in your 30's, so enjoy!

AmericanBridget (Jones) said...

Happy Birthday! We shared a birthday weekend!!!!!!! 30 is still young to me, so enjoy it. But there is a mindset that comes with 30...it's like instant respect!

Enjoy this year and as always, keep your head up!

Bathwater said...

I think being young at heart is the best compliment anyone can give you, have belated birthday.

Maura said...

Happy Birthday, Sarah. I have every hope and wish that your 30th year will be full of love, luck, and happiness. So glad to have found you and your blog.

LLandL said...

Happy Birthday! I think you're fabulous!

Dream in Grey said...

Very happy birthday you young thing you!

heisschic said...

note to self- must start twirling in bars.



Happy Birthday!

Tracy said...

Happy birthday!! My 30th year sucked, as that was the year my ex and I separated. However, my 31st year? Fantastic! Good for you for getting so close to finishing you 30 by 30 list. I take it the last things are the ones you are planning on doing this summer?

Sarah said...

Three I will do this summer: learn to do a cartwheel and swim with dolphins. I have 250 paper cranes: only 750 left to go!

I had to abandon making an indulgent purchase because lately I'm been indulging in all sorts of smaller purchases that quickly added up.

J said...

Happy birthday, Sarah! I hope it was as fabulous and lovely as you are.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! You have accomplished so much for yourself and I'm so glad you've shared the journey with all of us.

Danielle said...

Happy Birthday! People thinking you are young never gets old!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday,

Oh, to be 30 again. I am 43. Life is quite interesting, and the older you get, the more interesting it becomes. Embrace your thirties. Live life everyday as if it is your last day. Love everyone around you to the fullest, and grab your doggie and hug her. That is the best advice I can give about turning older. Hugs and kisses. Moi.

jo said...

happy birthday! and welcome to the club. really, it gets better... or we just forget how it used to be before haha!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday! I think you did amazing with your list....just keep adding and crossing off. Here is to a great year!

j said...

That Anon one was me...internet issues...

Scrumps said...

Belated birthday wishes! :)

Eleni Zoe said...

Happy 30th birthday Sarah! Like you, I'm always being told that I seem young at heart, (and looks). It made turning 30 much easier to swallow!

Meg said...

Happy belated birthday! Hope you had a fabulous weekend. You are living proof that you are only as old as you feel!

Erin said...

Happy Birthday! Of course those men didn't ruin you, you are too strong. They just muted you for a while.

mypixieblog said...

Someone once told me that 30 is when people start to take you more seriously. I couldn't agree more. It's a wonderful age and I feel so much more alive since I entered this decade. I kind of feel like the person I was in my 20s but with a lot more confidence and a lot less self-doubt.

Happy belated birthday!!!! Hope it was fantastic, girly :)

Tex In The City said...

30 rock the hizzy for me. Everywhere I went I threw my arms up in the air like Rocky and shouted, "I'm 30!" Got free Starbucks, breakfast tacos, lunch, dinner and cocktails that day! LOL

Happy Birthday, Sarah. I wish you health, wealth and all of the yummy goodness your heart desires.

Welcome to your 30's!
Tex

Seine said...

happy belated :)

 

© 2005 - 2013 He Loves Me Not
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution - Noncommercial - Share Alike 3.0 United States License.

template by suckmylolly.com